top of page
Horse Racing


Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I renew my equine mortality policy?
    At least 30 days prior to the expiry date of your policy you will receive your renewal information; letter, application and veterinary certificate (if required) in the mail. Once you have completed all the required paperwork you may fax, email, or post it to us. Once our office has received the paperwork, we will confirm that we have received it and begin processing your renewal accordingly.
  • Does my equine mortality policy renew automatically?
    No, Underwriters require renewal paperwork every year.
  • Can I renew my equine mortality policy over the phone?
    No, insurance is a binding contract and therefore, Underwriters require a completed application in order to renew coverage.
  • Can I pay for my equine mortality policy before submitting paperwork?
    We must receive the renewal paperwork prior to taking any payment.
  • I can’t get my vet out right away and my policy is renewing; what do I do?
    Send in your renewal application immediately and notify us that you are waiting on the vet to come out to complete the veterinary certificate. Once the veterinary certificate has been completed, please be sure it is forwarded over to our office and if payment has been received, we will process your policy and email it to you for your records.
  • How do I file an equine claim?
    If the claim is an emergency and requires immediate assistance you may call our office and the message will be delivered to our claims department manager, Erin Richards. If you are just letting know of a potential claim that is not life threatening, feel free to send us an email at or call the office and we will be more than happy to talk you through the next steps of processing your claim.
  • How can I pay for my equine mortality policy?
    Depending on what company you are with will determine how you pay your Equine Mortality policy. If you’re with Great American, you should receive a bill directly from them and you will pay through them. If you’re covered through General Security National Insurance Company, you may call us for your balance and pay via credit card or check.
  • How do I delete a horse/cancel an equine mortality policy?
    In order to delete a horse from your policy Underwriters require written confirmation of the change. Please include the name of the horse and the date of cancellation and email or fax it to us. Once we have received it, we will begin processing the endorsement.
  • How do I increase my horse’s mortality value?
    In order to increase your horse’s mortality value, we will require an updated application and reasoning behind the increase.
  • Can I insure my horse for less than what I paid?
    Yes, you may self-insure whatever amount you wish to. Just be sure that when you complete the application in the “Amount of Insurance Desired” box you put the amount that you wish to cover the horse for.
  • How do I value my horse?
    Insured values are based on the current market, i.e., how much could you sell your horse for today. The combined elements of age, show record/racing record, prize money winnings and progeny can all be included to determine the proper insured value for your horse.
  • How do I add major medical or surgical coverages?
    Underwriters require a completed application to add any major medical or surgical coverages to your current mortality policy.
  • What is major medical? What is surgical and life-saving surgery?
    Major Medical coverage is for catastrophic events and assists you with veterinary bills related to accident, illness and injury for treatment and surgery. Surgical coverage covers surgery and post-care for up 30 days depending on the limit of coverage. Life-saving surgery coverage covers the surgery and 50% of post-care cost minus your deductible.
  • When can I insure an unborn foal?
    Once the mare is confirmed 40 days in foal by a veterinarian who confirms that there is a single, viable fetus.
  • Can you insure horses traveling outside of the United States?
    Yes, we offer Worldwide Coverage and Single Air Transit. Reach out to our office to quote this coverage for you.
  • Can you insure my horse for transport only/short term coverage?
    We do not offer short term or transport coverage if you wish to have short term coverage you may complete an application and once coverage is no longer desired you may cancel the policy at any time and any unused portion of the premium will be returned to you.
  • How do I insure a leased horse?
    Complete an application and in question #2, “Does anyone else have interest in the horse?” mark yes and be sure to include their full name, address, email and phone number and we will be sure to send them an Evidence of Property to confirm you have coverage.
  • At what age can horses no longer be insured?
    Underwriters will no longer insure for Mortality and Major Medical once your horse reaches the age of 21. If you still desire coverage after the age of 21, we can write a Specified Perils policy. If you’re looking to insure a horse over the age of 15, we will require a completed application and veterinary certificate to incept coverage. Underwriters will have to agree to coverage prior to issuing the policy.
  • Can you insure my newborn foal?
    Yes, we can incept coverage from 24 hours until 30 days at an increased rate so long as the IgG level is above 800. If you wait until 31 days after birth the foal will be eligible for Emergency Colic Surgery and Major Medical coverage and a reduced rate.
  • Are automatic installments available?
    Yes, we do offer an auto-pay option. Just let our accounting department know that you would like automatic withdraw and the payments will be taken on the 15th of each month.
  • Are payment plans available?
    We do offer a two-pay or four-pay plan for your convenience. The four-pay plan is 25% of the total premium and due every other month on the 15th.
  • Do you keep my credit every year for renewal?
    We do not store credit card numbers in the office. When your policy renews, you will have to provide this information to our accounting department again.
  • I have Smart Pak Colic care. How does that work with my insurance?
    Smart Pak’s colic coverage will be utilized first and if there is a remainder still to be covered your Emergency Colic Surgery coverage will respond next.
  • How do I bind coverage on a horse I just purchased?
    In order to bind coverage on a horse you just purchased you will need to complete an application. Once we have received the completed application you will receive notification from our office that coverage is bound and once payment has been secured the policy documents will be emailed to you.
  • Do I need a veterinarian certificate completed?
    f you had a claim in the past two years Underwriters will require a veterinary certificate regarding previous reason for the claim. If you’re insuring for the first time and the value of the horse is above $50,000 Underwriters will require a veterinary certificate. If you’re renewing your horses’ coverage and the value is above $75,000 a veterinary certificate will be required. If your horse is over the age of 16 Underwriters require a veterinary certificate.
  • Do you only insure Arabians?
    No, we insure any breed of horse.
  • Can I transfer my policy to a new owner?
    Since insurance is a binding contract, we cannot transfer your coverage to the new owner. The new owner will be required to complete an application for their coverage. If the purchase price is above $50,000, they will also be required to have a veterinary certificate completed to incept coverage.
  • What does “Does anyone else have interest in the horse(s)?” mean?
    If you are leasing a horse, then the owner would be a loss payee and their information can be provided in that section of the application.
  • Is there a minimum policy premium?
    There is a minimum policy premium of $200 and a minimum horse premium of $200.
  • What is covered under the major medical?
    Diagnostics, surgery (if required) and treatment resulting from accident, illness, or injury. Think of it as hospitalization coverage for horses.
  • Do you cover vaccinations and routine care?
    No, vaccinations and routine care are not covered under the Major Medical coverage. Major Medical is reserved for catastrophic events.
  • Are joint injections covered?
    Not if they are being completed for maintenance and performance aspects. If they are at a veterinarian’s recommendation for a covered injury, we can submit to Underwriters for approval.
  • Do you cover gastric ulcers?
    Yes, so long as they are not a pre-existing condition for a limit up to $2,500.
  • Is there a deductible on my equine mortality? What about major medical, surgical and colic surgery?"
    There are no deductibles on equine mortality coverage, surgical coverage or emergency colic surgery. There are deductibles on major medical (either $500 or $1,000) and life-saving surgery ($100 deductible).

We know that Insurance is no walk-in-the-park. We are here to help you, every step of the way, to ensure that your precious equine companions are properly protected. Browse our FAQ's to help you fully grasp some of our coverages and what to expect when incepting coverage with our agency.

bottom of page